Tuesday 11 November 2008

Remembrance Day Poem




I am sorry that this is posted so late in the day but I saw this poem on the box of poppies in town when we bought one today and just had to share it as its so moving and made Ski understand a little more about what Remembrance Day means. We shall remember them.

A POEM FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY

Why are they selling poppies, Mummy?
Selling poppies in the town today.
The poppies dear, are the flowers of love
For the men that have marched away.
But why have they chosen a poppy , Mummy?
Why not a beautiful rose?
Because my love, men fought and died
In the fields where the poppies grow.
But why are the poppies so red, Mummy?
Why are the poppies so red
Red is the colour of blood, my child
The blood that our soldiers shed.
The heart of the poppy is black, Mummy
Why does it have to be black?
Black, my child, is the symbol of grief
For the men who never came back.
But why are you crying Mummy?
Your tears are giving you pain.
My tears are for you my child
For the world is forgetting again.

Author unknown.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jo!! Thanks for the comment! oo a local!! lol was Trowbridge as windy and cold as chippenham today lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that Jo, nearly brought a tear to my eye. We really should remember those who have given their lives for us, I'll show this to my two in the morning, hugs Tara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a moving poem Jo. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog and for leaving me a comment. I hope you have liked what you have seen and will visit again.

Thanks !

Jo x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...